Thursday, June 19, 2008

Uh-Oh

Two days in to my 18th round of 30/30 and I went to my regular doctor today about my sprained wrist.

Turns out it's a sprained thumb and I'm not to use it. At all. We're looking at probably three more weeks of healing time. Of course, it's my left hand and I'm left-handed.

Anything grippy - writing, combing girls' long hair, cooking, knitting, and a thousand other things I do daily, is painful, difficult, and not to be attempted.

Luckily, I've always used the computer mouse with my right hand, so that's okay. Typing isn't great, but I'm thinking I can probably handle a few lines of poetry a day (don't tell the doc, though). Housework is out (no crying there). So is yard work (I rarely do that anyway), painting masterpiece landscapes (it could happen), and playing the piano (that one really does make me sad).

The splint is on, the ibuprofen is ready, and I can't imagine what I'm going to do with idle hands for the next three weeks.

2 comments:

Maryanne Stahl said...

aw. sorry about the hand, but follow doctor's orders! allow yourself to rest and enjoy the sounds and feel of summer air.

Sharon Hurlbut said...

Thanks Maryanne! I'm doing my best to lay off the hand, and the girls call me on it if I do use it, so hopefully it'll be better soon. In the meantime, I'm getting even more coordinated with my right hand.