Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Hiss, 30/30, and a little Lichen


I'm happy to announce that my poems "One Red Door" and "From the Other Side of the Future" were both winners in The Hiss Quarterly ekphrastic poem contest. Go check out the new issue and read all the great stories and poems.

Last week I finished my 10th round of 30 poems in 30 days. Yep, that's a whopping 300 poems. Here are the titles from the latest batch:
1. Age and Wisdom (originally titled Elderly)
2. Ma and Pa Make their own Luck after the Hard Winter of 1880
3. When the Water Recedes
4. Mother Hubbard
5. One Red Door
6. Hickory Dickory
7. Last Stop on the Underground Railroad
8. About the Rain
9. Solace
10. Cloudburst
11. The Beast with No Dreams
12. Centenerian
13. From the Other Side of the Future
14. I Wanted to be a Pickle
15. Love is a Found Object
16. Let the Rain Come
17. Ramah, New Mexico, June 1990
18. picnic blanket spread (haiku)
19. Dr. Freud has a Few Choice Words for Someone in Charge
20. The Way
21. Sonnenizio on a line from Jeffers
22. Challenger
23. Eclipse
24. The Angelita of San Xavier del Bac
25. In Madame Cheung's Crystal Ball
26. Give Me a Word
27. We See Another Summer Coming
28. Walnut Canyon
29. For Emma on Her Seventh Birthday
30. Chopin and Debussy on the Way to Julliard

And last but not least, I'm on the shortlist for the Lichen "Tracking a Serial Poet" competition. The winner and runners-up will be published in the forthcoming issue. Wish me luck!

12 comments:

Cheryl said...

Amazing work on your 30:30 success, and best of luck on Lichen!!! I'll be rooting for you, no matter the name.

Cheryl

Sharon Hurlbut said...

Thanks Cheryl! I contacted them and they changed it for me, so it's now under Ann Walters.

k1tchenwitch said...

Hey! Congratulations and good luck!
And there are some great titles here. I'm very curious about I Wanted To Be A Pickle
hmmm. . .

Mary Akers said...

Totally unrelated: Happy Birthday!

Sharon Hurlbut said...

Thanks Theresa! The pickle poem is a kids' poem I wrote for my daughter. Her school had a childrens' poet come and visit and he really sparked her interest.

Mary, thank you so much! Between my birthday and Mother's Day coming up, I'm feeling pretty special this week.

Kate Evans said...

Impressive & inspirational.

Bev Jackson said...

you are sheer inspiration! Hey congrats on Hiss's contest! You rock, Sharon!

michi said...

congrats.
and congrats.
and more congrats.

and fingers crossed!

x m

Sharon Hurlbut said...

Thank you Kate! It's nice to meet you.

Bev, I'm not sure if that's inspiration or perspiration, but it seems to be working. Thanks!

Thanks Michi!

GJM said...

Congrats!

That's a lot of poems! Great job:)

P. A. Moed said...

Your output is prodigious! And congratulations. Now do I get to read the poem about Dr.Freud?

Sharon Hurlbut said...

Thanks Gwen and Patti!