Sunday, October 22, 2006

Good Things

I've noticed a surge of gratitude among bloggers I regularly read lately.

Michaela Gabriel had a blast at the Vienna Lit Festival and is overflowing with creativity. Her happiness with life is contagious.

Patry Francis celebrated 25 years since meeting her husband by going back to the spot of their first date. She often documents the details that give life texture and joy, whether it's by collecting acorns to compare and describe or by drawing connections between the people she encounters and ourselves.

Deborah Ager finds pleasure in motherhood, whether moving at full speed or stopping to cement a moment of family life. She also treasures time alone, even in the smallest increments, and draws inspiration from the rhythm of life around her.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, the Yarn Harlot, has shared the joy of her recent wedding as well as the deep sense of satisfaction that comes from hard work after finally completing her wedding shawl. Her labor of love demonstrates the sheer exhiliration of creating something with your own two hands.

-----------------------------------

I'm thankful for clear Autumn days that give me the chance to stock up on sunshine before the long Oregon winter begins.

I'm glad I took Emma swimming today and shared what she called "the most fun ever!", as well as the chance to snuggle with Kate this morning when I invited her to crawl into bed with me after her early morning potty trip.

I have yarn and knitting needles, and that always makes me happy.

I love it when the kids are in bed, the dishes are washed, the laundry is in the dryer, and the day sloughs away so it's just me and Dennis sitting down, being together.

And yes, I'm ecstatic about writing. I'm almost finished with my 7th round of 30 poems in 30 days and it feels great. I have a poem up in the new issue of The Pedestal Magazine and I couldn't be more thrilled because it's one of my personal favorites. I hope you'll read it if you get a chance.

Those are just a few of the things I'm thankful for. What about you?

5 comments:

Harriet said...

I love the "salt" poem! Were you inspired by a visit to Fort Clatsop? I find the whole expedition story very moving... Ah geez, no pun intended whatsoever!

I'd say that right now I am very thankful for having found the courage to go to grad school, and for John making so easy for me, and for the gift of the GI Bill that I gave myself 10 years ago in Boot Camp :-)

Faith said...

I'm thankful that I am living in a time where it's ok too be creative and think outside the box.
I'm thankful to be an American, and think like an American -- doing my own thing and loving it.
I'm thankful that I learned how to knit, spin and crochet.
I'm thankful that I was able to afford my spinning wheel.
I'm thankful that I just paid off my Old Navy credit card.
I'm thankful for this knitting community where all of my friends travel with me.

Sharon Hurlbut said...

Harriet - Thanks for reading my poem! We saw (from a distance) the salt works in Seaside last year and it really captured my imagination. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying school and that it's turning out to be good experience.

Faith - What a great list! I frequently give thanks that I was born in America and have such a comfortable life with so many opportunities for self-expression. You made me smile with your Old Navy credit, but I'm guessing that won't be a problem in Germany. Thanks for stopping by!

Anne Bauer said...

What a great list. I'm grateful for those tiny, found moments too. Two nights ago I decided to read poetry to Olivia instead of the ususual unicorn/ballerina/anthropomorphized animal stories. We read Pablo Neruda's Ode to His Socks. She loved it.

And it made me think of the socks you knit for your family and what a wonderful demonstration of your gratitude that is.

Sharon Hurlbut said...

Anne, that Neruda poem truly captures the love and warmth of handknit socks. There's something very gratifying about creating such a useful item and then watching someone you love enjoy it. I love reading poetry with Emma. We often read poems together and then write our own.