Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas!

Wishing peace, love, and joy to all.


Mary’s Devotion

Years from now when your good words
have fallen like fisted knots
of a net dimpling the sea’s surface;
when you’ve let your fingers settle
like roots of love
pushing between hairline cracks in rock;
when your eyes have refused
to reflect the hatred of unsympathetic ears
even as you cry salt and blood;
then I will touch this time and hold fast –
not to a crown of thorns
but to the crowning of your head,
slick with thick black hair between my legs,
your small yelp screaming for milk
and a mother’s strength.

2 comments:

Patry Francis said...

Sharon, thank you for taking her motherhood from the "pretty picture variety" to a real flesh and blood connection.

Sharon Hurlbut said...

Patry - so often we get the ultra-holy, selfless, perfect version of Mary, but as a mother myself, I always imagine the connection that was strongest for her was the same as my own with my children and that she held that infant in her heart forever.