Friday, April 01, 2005

National Poetry Month

A Happy Birthday
Ted Kooser

This evening, I sat by an open window
and read till the light was gone and the book
was no more than a part of the darkness.
I could easily have switched on a lamp,
but I wanted to ride this day down into night,
to sit alone and smooth the unreadable page
with the pale gray ghost of my hand.


April is National Poetry Month. Check out the Academy of American Poets where you can find a list of events for the month, sign up to receive a poem by email every day, read new poetry, and find work by your favorite American poets.

Another good resource for information about specific poets is Modern American Poetry, the online companion to the Anthology of Modern American Poetry.

Write your own poetry? Check out the Random Poetic Phrases generator and get a kickstart.
RhymeZone can help you find the perfect rhyme.

Tonight, I'll grab a poem or two, maybe a whole book. And then I'll sit by the open window and read, until, like Poet Laureate Ted Kooser, I "ride this day down into night."

It's National Poetry Month.

No comments: