Tuesday, September 02, 2008

First Day

Can you believe it's the first day of school already? I want summer to go on and on! It was way too short.

We've been busy, which may be why it flew by so fast. Zoo Camp for both girls. Preschool camps for Kate. Art camp and Lego Physics for Emma. Tin House for me and Idaho for the whole family. We also managed trips to the beach, the state fair, and of course days at home doing nothing.

Emma and Kate are going to a new school this year. A brand-new, just built school, within a mile of our house. We loved Emma's old school - it was literally old (at least 60 years) and was out in the countryside, next to cow pastures and open farmland. But it was also pretty far from our house. The old school had some great teachers (and a couple of not-so-great) and lots of fantastic programs in place. The new school has teacher hand-picked by the principal from every school in the district. There's a sense of excitement and energy that is really wonderful.

Kate will be starting Kindergarten on Thursday. Today she has a 30 minute meeting with her teacher, to learn about the classroom and see what it's all about. She's so excited she's about to burst. She'll go for about 3 hours in the morning every day.

Emma has been placed in a classroom of mixed 4th and 5th graders. I have always thought she would do well in a mixed-age class and I'm thrilled that this school actually took my suggestion seriously. She's thrilled to be starting school as well.

This year I'm starting a Daisy Girl Scout troop for Kate. She has spent a lot of time with Emma's troop and can't wait to be a scout herself. Emma will be working on a Bronze Award with her troop, which will require a lot of work. I think it will be a great experience for her.

I'm sad the summer is coming to an end, but Fall IS my favorite season. I look ahead and I see a whole world of possibility ahead of us.

No comments: