Saturday, August 18, 2007

Instant Gratification

I'm knitting my hardest project to date right now, a Dale of Norway baby cardigan for my newest niece. It's a special gift and I want it to be just right, so I'm taking my time and progress is slow.

But sometimes, I want a finished project RIGHT NOW. So here's what I've been doing for the past few days:

That's right, I've knit clothes for an entire army of Kelly dolls.


This is the first one. It's a bit snug. Okay, it's tight as heck and nobody but me can get the thing off and on her. Knit with leftover yarn from the Fourth of July socks.


This one was also knit with leftover sock yarn and I love how the faux Fair Isle pattern turned out.


Kelly as a cheerleader. More Fourth of July sock yarn, this time in a Kelly-size version of the twirly skirt. I made up the pattern for the top as I went.


Being a princess, Cinderella Kelly needed something a little fancier. This is zigzag lace from the 365 days of knitting patterns calendar, with a poncho/shawl thing to keep her shoulders warm.


Cinderella's dress has a simple i-cord strap that ties in the back.


Yet more leftover sock yarn being put to good use. Again, I was really pleased with the way the colors patterned.


Even though dresses are easy to make and, more importantly, get on and off, I decided that at least one Kelly needed something more practical for summertime play. Pants are Koigu, top is a DK for which I've long since lost the ball band.


Another princess, another ball gown. I thought these colors went well with Ariel's red hair.


My personal favorite. Knit with DK yarn using the Tiny Brocade pattern from Vogue Stitchionary 3 (colorwork).


The Kellys appeared in pairs each morning, waiting by the bathroom sink where Emma and Kate were sure to find them. They loved getting up each morning and rushing in to see the surprise outfits. Most of the dresses took about an hour to make. I don't think any of them took more than 2 hours, and that was only if I was interrupted during the knitting. It was great fun thinking up new ideas and turning them into a reality that the girls could play with within a few hours. But for now, it's back to the long-term project and delayed gratification.

2 comments:

Bebe Cook said...

Sharon,

These are wonderful, I loved Barbie dolls, and my daughter Rachael had kelly dolls when she was young. My favorite the practical capris and top. Her favorite doll was Arial, she loved that doll until her fingers were chewed off, and she had undergone several haircuts. We bought her a replacemnet, but it was the original that she carried everwhere. I put it up for her, as well as Eric. What a beautiful talent you have. your daughters will cherish these memories.

:) brenda

Sharon Hurlbut said...

Thanks Brenda! I'm working on some Barbie outfits now, which is also fun. I still have knit clothes that my grandmother made for my own Barbie and I treasure them so much.